Tuesday, March 20, 2012

I still don't believe Wilpon and Katz "knew" about Madoff - George Vecsey


The great Times sports writer George Vecsey has been around New York baseball for a long time.  He has s somewhat sympathetic view of Fred Wilpon and Saul Katz.  I don't know them.  At my distance I think they "should have known" that their good buddy Bernie Madoff was a creep: doesn't character show when you see people up close and over a long period of time?  
But I am nonetheless inclined to agree that greed blinded them - the Madoff constant (high) rate of return was rationalized: and they put themselves and their families at enormous risk - and, ultiamtely, great loss. - GWC
I Still Don’t Believe Mets’ Owners “Knew” - George Vecsey: "I think I am old enough to recognize a stricken look.

That is what I have seen on the faces of Fred Wilpon and Saul Katz in the past two years. They are of my generation – although a tad more wealthy – and I think I can tell the look of two people who felt betrayed by a friend. They have seen ruin and even death up close, to people they know.

Now they have settled their case, and perhaps they and the Mets can move on. Or not. But I come to this stage still unconvinced that Wilpon and Katz “knew” Madoff was cheating.

My belief is not based on their including Sandy Koufax in the Madoff web. That’s just one small piece of it.

I have read documents filed by the trustee, listing all the accounts held by Wilpon and his brother-in-law, Katz. The accounts are in the names of Wilpons and Katzes and other people clearly related to these two partners. The next generations, living mostly in favored suburbs of New York. "

No comments:

Post a Comment