Monday, June 3, 2013

TortsProf Blog: Catastrophic Payments and Medical Malpractice

TortsProf Blog: Catastrophic Payments and Medical Malpractice:

by Christopher J. Robinette, Widener Law School
Terry Baynes of Reuters has written an article about the recent study by a group of physicians at John Hopkins finding that large med mal awards do not contribute significantly to healthcare costs. The article quotes the lead author of the study, Dr. Marty Makary, and me on the issue. My comments appear somewhat more skeptical of the med mal tort system than I actually am (through no fault of Ms. Baynes), and that caused me to reflect further on the significance of the study. 
The study (pdf) finds that catastrophic judgments (of over $1M) constitute approximately .05% of national healthcare costs (as measured in 2010). I believe the inferences and recommendations that Dr. Makary and his colleagues draw from this are generally correct. First, they determine that catastrophic payouts are not a major driver of health care costs. Second, at least in interviews, Dr. Makary argues that defensive medicine due to the vague standard of care is a bigger expense than catastrophic payouts. Third, acknowledging the study does not include costs of defensive medicine, the authors conclude that the financial savings due to malpractice reform may be minimal compared to other drivers of health care costs. Fourth, at least in interviews, Dr. Makary argues that malpractice reform should not be focused on caps, but on the standard of care.


'via Blog this'

18 comments:

  1. It is good to hire an injury solicitor with broad knowledge in negligence compensation. They can deal with this specific injury case and will help you win your claim for medical negligence.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great blog! Well, it is rather interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Interestung reserach. Navigate to this website, you will get more detailed info.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Student life may be very difficult. If you have some problems with your writing assignments, you can always put your trust in professional writers.


    ReplyDelete
  5. Best writing essay help for educational or professional writing. You must cheak it!

    ReplyDelete

  6. responsibility of health professionals is a very important thing. We must keep to the doctors responsible attitude to their work. After all, they are responsible for human health. One day I had a task to write an essay on topic "professional liability of doctors"=) I didn't have time so I decide to
    buy college papers online!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you for benefiting from time to focus on this kind of, I feel firmly about it and also really like comprehending far more with this particular subject matter. In case doable, when you get know-how, is it possible to thoughts modernizing your site together with far more details? It’s extremely useful to me http://www.advanced-writer.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Some students don`t believe writing agencies.Nevertheless,I usually order my essay at this trusted http://www.essays-shark.net writing agency and I`m satisfied with their work

    ReplyDelete
  9. hmmm... I very like this info! And if you need time to do what you love, they could always use help http://essay-mania.com.

    ReplyDelete
  10. You're lucky one who possesses good writing skills! Your essay is impressive and exclusive! I'm not so fortunate, I'm a real loser when writing task appear on the horizon) but I solved that problem - my friend recommended me this source papers-writings.com as one of the best online writing services. Now all my writings are authentic and very well structured)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Rich in content and well-written article, I like it. Keep on writing and inform your readers of so crucial issues. Use this nice source www.academic-writings.com to make all your writings perfect and attracting visitors' attention.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks for your amazing article! By the way visit here http://essay-professors.com ,on this amazing site ,and order you article, and you not regreT!I promised all your tasks will be write quality and this not be plagiarism!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Get rid of your academic writing worries once and for all! http://www.essay-experts.org/

    ReplyDelete