Thursday, December 14, 2017

Judge Alex Kozinski made us all victims and accomplices.

Dahlia Lithwick is a brilliant lawyer-journalist who writes for Slate.  In this shocking confessional piece she describes how women acquiesced in the shameful and humiliating behaviour of a brilliant, powerful, and - now we all know- nefarious judge.

It's a must read. - gwc

Judge Alex Kozinski made us all victims and accomplices.

by Dahlia Lithwick

The first time I met Alex Kozinski was in 1996. I was clerking for the chief judge of the 9th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals, and there was an orientation for new clerks in San Francisco. One of my co-clerks and I were introduced to the already legendary, lifetime-tenured young judge at a reception, and we talked for a while. I cannot recall what we talked about. I remember only feeling quite small and very dirty. Without my prompting, my former co-clerk described this interaction in an email to me this week. “He completely ignored me and appeared to be undressing you with his eyes,” he wrote. “I had never seen anyone ogle another person like that and still have not seen anything like it. Was so uncomfortable to watch, and I wasn’t even the subject of the stare.”***

No comments:

Post a Comment